There are certain benefits on every card that aren’t provided by Visa, Mastercard, or other companies, but by the bank issuer itself. More often than not, the issuer benefits are much more extensive.
However, Visa does provide its cardholders with some nice credit card benefits, separated into 3 tiers:
- Signature, and
Wondering which program offers what? Here’s an overview:
|Zero fraud liability|
|Auto rental collision damage waiver|
|Lost or stolen card reporting with emergency replacement|
|Emergency cash disbursement services|
|Year-end spending summary|
|Travel and emergency assistance|
|Trip interruption and cancellation|
|Travel accident insurance|
|Trip delay reimbursement|
|Baggage loss reimbursement|
But remember that the benefits offered by Visa are on top of the perks you might already receive from your credit card issuer. So you might get some Infinite benefits even if you only have a Signature Visa because your issuer offers it for your specific card.
For now, we’ll be breaking down the Signature program and exactly what it brings to the table.
Breakdown of Visa Signature benefits
Wondering what the Visa Signature program has to offer you?
Here’s a summary:
- all “Traditional” tier benefits,
- extended warranty,
- year-end spending summary,
- travel and emergency assistance,
- visa concierge, and
- luxury hotel savings.
Extended warranty protection is a perk that allows you to continue your warranty past the stated time on your manufacturer’s warranty. Keep in mind that all items must be purchased in full with the Visa.
So how does it work?
- For warranties of less than a year, the warranty will be doubled.
- For warranties of 1 – 3 years, a year will be added.
- For warranties over 3 years, you won’t qualify for a warranty extension.
The maximum coverage is $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per cardholder. Remember that the coverage will only extend the pre-existing warranty, it won’t make the warranty better.
Also keep in mind items that are excluded from this coverage are:
- real estate, and
- computer software.
You’ll have to register your purchase with Visa or save the receipt and the original manufacturer’s warranty if you want to take advantage of this protection.
Year-end spending summary
At the end of the year, Visa will send you a detailed annual report letting you know where you used the card.
This is a simple perk that can be a great help with taxes or budgeting.
Travel and emergency assistance
Anything can happen when you’re travelling.
It’s good to assume when travelling abroad that anything that can happen, will happen.
The good news?
Visa offers travellers pre-travel information, which includes the info you might need about immunizations, weather reports, or questions about foreign currency.
They also provide you with medical services, including referrals to local health care providers, ambulances, and prescription services.
And if you need a referral for a lawyer or bail services, they’ll help you do that, too.
Other services include:
- finding an interpreter,
- helping find lost luggage,
- document delivery, and
- emergency lost ticket replacement.
Just remember that while calling them is free, you’ll have to pay for any service they refer you to and you choose to take advantage of.
Wondering what numbers to call in each country? Check out this list for toll-free numbers to Visa’s dedicated hotline.
Visa Signature concierge
Another nice benefit of the Visa Signature is the concierge services. It’s like having a personal assistant in your pocket.
Here’s an overview of what they can help you with:
Visa Signature cardholders can access the Concierge Service 24/7 through a toll-free phone number: 1-800-953-7392 (outside of the U.S., cardholders can call collect at 630-350-4551).
You’ll also have access to hotel discounts at a wide variety of luxury hotels around the world.
Here’s a look at what they have available right now:
Visa also has a best available rate guarantee whenever you book with the Visa Signature Luxury Hotel Collection.
Exclusive merchant offers
You’ll also get access to a wide variety of offers exclusive to the Signature Visa program.
Here’s a glimpse at what’s currently available:
For more (and there’s a ton) offers, check out this page.
Other benefits your Signature Visa card might include
Your Signature Visa may also come with a few other perks that are offered by the issuer.
The Visa website mentions that these benefits may come with your card, but they’re not automatically included because of your Signature Visa status, which is the case for what we mentioned above.
Here are some other perks you could get, depending on your Visa card:
- lost luggage or baggage delay reimbursement,
- Priority Pass airport lounge access,
- price, purchase, and return protection,
- reimbursement for Global Entry application fee,
- reimbursement for travel delays, cancellations, or interruptions,
- travel accident insurance, and
- emergency medical service and medical evacuation.
Some of these perks are always included in the Visa Infinite package, so if they’re something important to you, you might want to go with a Visa Infinite instead.
The best Signature Visa cards
Now that you’ve got the low down on all things Visa Signature, it’s time to choose a card.
Here are 3 recommendations that won’t disappoint.
If you want a card with nice earn rates and don’t mind the $95 annual fee, look no further than the
- 2 points for every dollar spent,
- 6 points for every dollar spent at Marriott locations, and
- 75,000 bonus points when you spend $3,000 in your first 3 months.
At a lower $75 annual fee, the
- 1 mile for each dollar spent,
- 3 miles for every dollar spent on Alaska Airlines products and services, and
- 40,000 bonus miles and access to a companion voucher when you spend $2,000 in your first 3 months as a cardholder.
As an added bonus, every year you keep the card you’ll get access to Alaska’s famous companion voucher. You’ll be able to buy one ticket and get the second for just $99 plus the taxes and fees.
This is an awesome discount (and card) if you’re a frequent flyer.
And if you just don’t want to pay an annual fee, the
- 5 points per dollar spent at Choice Privileges hotel,
- 2 points per dollar spent on all other everyday purchases,
- 32,000 bonus points when you spend $1,000 in your first 90 days,
- 10% bonus points every time you purchase a stay with Choice Hotels, and
- 8,000 bonus anniversary points, every year you spend $10,000 or more per year.
We want to hear from you
Do you have a Signature Visa?
Do you take advantage of all it has to offer?
Let us know in the comments below.